Wednesday, July 23, 2008

What do you notice?


When you look at an object, a person, an emotion, what do you see? Do you see the same perspective that you always see? Do you consider looking at the situation or person from a different view?
It's not hard to know that this is a palm tree if we look closely. And yet, it might catch our eye differently than the "regular" view. Does it change the palm tree in your eyes? Make it fresh and exciting and, well, just different? I like the idea. I love this photo. Feeling the height, the play of colors, the strength of the trunk supporting the airy fronds of the palm.
What if you looked at your partner, your child, your boss or best friend from a different perspective. As I think of this, how might your different view of them change your self-view? Who are we in the world. Notice the space around the fronds. Normally that would be called 'negative space' and yet, if we focus on this, the view becomes different. I believe that we can be reminded to look at our relationships from a different perspective. Does it take some time, thought and energy? Yes. Would you rather take time or spend time focusing on the same old things that have bothered you in the past? I like the notion of possibility - the notion that I can see the same old thing through different eyes. I don't need the tree to change - I need to change how I see the tree. Can I help you see the important things in your life from a different perspective? Give me a call. Let's take a look.

No comments: